InterLibrary Loan Policy
Interlibrary Loan (ILL), a division of Access Services, provides materials for clients which are not available in Central Missouri's collection. This is accomplished through the borrowing and lending of items in cooperation with other libraries. While each library is governed by the National Interlibrary Loan Code of the American Library Association, all determine their own policies regarding specific lending and borrowing procedures.
- Any student, faculty, staff, or current public client is eligible for Interlibrary Loan service.
- The following types of materials should not be requested:
- Materials for class or group use
- Entire periodicals
- Materials which are difficult or expensive to pack
- Reference books, rare books
- Books owned by Central that are temporarily in use
- For books the duration of the loan is determined by the lending library but usually ranges from one to four weeks. Renewal requests are accepted only if the lending library's policy accepts renewals and if the request is made one week before the date due indicated on the red book band. Clients who continually disregard due dates will be denied further service.
- Library Services clients must abide by any use restrictions imposed by the lending library, which might include no photocopying of materials, and materials specifically designated for library use only.
- Copies of periodical articles can be obtained through Interlibrary Loan.
- Photocopy charges will vary depending on the library sending the item. An attempt is made to secure the item from the cheapest source.
- Clients must agree to pay any photocopy charges or to provide a budget number from a department. Faculty charges are absorbed by the library.
- Photocopies received on or before the "not needed after" date, will be charged to the client, whether or not the client picks up the material.
- Interlibrary Loan adheres to the copyright law which states that within one calendar year an institution may receive no more that five photocopies from one journal title that is dated within the last five years, and that only one article can be photocopied from a single issue of a journal dated within the last five years. If the number of copied articles exceed the limits of the law, payment is made to the Copyright Clearing Center or the publisher for this service. Records are kept and a yearly copyright report is filed.
- All circulating materials within the collection are available for lending, but Library Services reserves the right to refuse to loan anything for any reason. Specific circulating items not available for lending include: videos, software, and bound periodicals.
- All materials sent out on Interlibrary Loan will be for a period of four weeks, this includes the Juvenile collection. Books may be renewed one time, unless a hold has been placed on the book by a Central client or the request has been made after the date due. Any materials that Central has loaned to another library are subject to recall at any time.
- There are no charges for the lending of books, but Central reserves the right to require insured mail return and require payment of postage. If a book is not returned by the borrowing library, a replacement cost of $120.00 will be charged. All theses will be sent insured mail and boxed.
- Charges for photocopies of articles are:
- Reciprocal: First 30 pages free, then 10 cents per page
- Non-reciprocal: $5.00 for first 10 pages, then 10 cents per page
- Rush requests: $5.00 for rush fax
- Requests are accepted through FirstSearch, fax, mail, e-mail, KCMLIN network and telephone.
InterLibrary Loan Office :: (660) 543-4508 :: JCKL 1145 :: email@example.com