Volunteers Needed at the Children’s Literature Festival!
The James C. Kirkpatrick library is seeking volunteers to staff the 40th Annual Children’s Literature Festival, March 9-11, 2008. Come join in the fun!
Every year, the library hosts the annual Children’s Literature Festival. More than 6,000 children and 1,300 adults attend the festival during the first Sunday, Monday and Tuesday of spring break. It’s a fantastic event, with over 40 nationally recognized children’s authors and illustrators visiting to discuss their craft.
Volunteers are needed most on Monday, March 10 and Tuesday, March 11. You may volunteer for one day (or both!). Here’s how it works:
- Volunteers arrive between 8:00-8:30am, and are normally finished by 3:00pm. There are normally four author sessions scheduled each day.
- Volunteers help get children seated, introduce authors to the audience, hand around microphones to children with questions, help manage autograph lines, and do anything that may be necessary to support an author’s speaking session. Depending on the popularity of an author, between 1-4 volunteers are assigned to support each author.
- Volunteers are provided with a modest breakfast snack, a full lunch, and beverages throughout the day.
- Volunteers enjoy a discount on books purchased at the festival (these can be autographed!)
- Volunteers are given a certificate of appreciation.
- If there is a particular author you’d like to support, please let us know, and we’ll do our best to accommodate.
The festival couldn’t take place without the assistance of our many volunteers, so we do hope you can participate! To volunteer, please contact:
Assistant Professor of Library Services