All Day Inauguration Coverage in the JCKL News Center
Barack Obama will be sworn in as the 44th President of the United States on Tuesday, January 20th, 2009.
We invite you to join us in the library’s News Center (2nd floor NE) for all day coverage of inauguration events on a flat-screen TV, beginning at 9am CST.
Coffee and cookies will be served at 10:30am, and you are welcome to bring your own lunch to watch the historic event.
Schedule and order of inauguration events (times are approximate)
9am CST: Festivities commence on the west front of the U.S. Capitol Building.
- Musical selections: The United States Marine Band, San Francisco Boys Chorus and the San Francisco Girls Chorus
- Call to order and welcoming remarks: Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-California
- Invocation: Dr. Rick Warren, pastor of the Saddleback megachurch in Orange County, California
- Musical selection: Aretha Franklin
- Vice President-elect Biden will be sworn into office by John Paul Stevens, associate justice of the Supreme Court
- Musical selection: John Williams, composer/arranger, with Itzhak Perlman, Yo-Yo Ma, Gabriela Montero and Anthony McGill
- Administration of the oath of office
- Inaugural address by President Obama
- Poem: Elizabeth Alexander
- Benediction: The Rev. Joseph E. Lowery
- The national anthem: The United States Navy Band “Sea Chanters”
- After President Obama gives the inaugural address, he will escort outgoing President George Bush to a departure ceremony before attending a luncheon in the Capitol’s Statuary Hall.
- The 56th Inaugural Parade will then make its way down Pennsylvania Avenue from the Capitol to the White House.